Friday, March 09, 2007

I can't buy a flatscreen monitor. My cat won't permit it.

I would really like to have a flatscreen computer monitor, but I can't. My cat (Mitzi) comes in, leaps up onto my knee (always from behind me and by surprise) then take a second leap to the top of my monitor. It's a good thing I don't have a weak heart. Oh, and I don't wear shorts to blog in. Jeans are enough to protect me from the accidental claw.

Mitzi likes it up there on top of the monitor. It's warm and close to a person, so she sleeps there, occasionally waking up and batting at the cursor as it moves across the screen. Since the cat rules this house with an iron paw, do I dare buy a flatscreen monitor and kick her out of her cozy, high, catperch? What would the results be if I did?

Well, today I found out. My kid bought a 22 inch wide flatscreen monitor. It's a beauty to behold to those of us with a technical bent. But to a cat, it is just another catperch. Or so she thought.

Until she leaped to the top of it. There, instead of a wide expanse of warm cat-bed she found -- nothing. No place for a paw, let alone a place to sleep.

She reached the top and was able to avoid going all the way over by a massive amount of energy and normal cat reflexes. Then she looked both ways. No cat perch. Then nothing. She simply didn't move, except to look back and forth to where the back of the monitor should be.

Then finally she got down. Cats don't show expression in their face, but you can tell by how they move when a cat meets the unexpected.

Mitzi was NOT a happy cat.

No comments: