Wednesday, January 16, 2008

American ignorance enforced by religious beliefs

Too many people believe that Creationism and enforced ignorance of Evolution and the Big Bang Theory, the organizing principles of modern biological science and modern physics, are things that exist only in small towns in Tennessee and the Appalachian mountains. Not true. Here is a story from Fort Bend County, Texas, which is a large portion of the Southeast part of the Houston Metropolitan Area, and not coincidently, includes the people who have sent both Representatives Tom DeLay and Ron Paul to Congress. From Nancy Hentschel in Sugar Land, Texas Fort Bend Now:
I taught sixth grade in Texas for three years 2001-2004. During that time, I was absolutely warned to not begin to say the word “evolution” or we would have every preacher in the district, as well as the media, breathing down our necks, and then there would truly be no teaching or learning. Sadly, I needed the position, so I played the “hide the issue and hide the learning” game.

Every time I tell this story, usually at a dinner party, people look at me like I am reliving some ancient past. I remind them that this policy ruled only two years ago – and in their progressive community. Like many issues that are easier to disbelieve than to address, people inevitably choose disbelief.

It is more difficult for me to choose disbelief, but over time, even I can begin to question my experience. So several weeks ago, I decided to test the continued use of this policy. I interviewed with a high school in Fort Bend and asked if I could use current events in the English classroom to explore why real evolution education is often an inoculation against racism and eugenic posturing. The interviewer quickly replied, “We do not challenge the sensitive “beliefs” of our student community.”
Too bad, … our most ill-informed students fall easy prey to eugenic manipulation, intolerance, and gangs because they do not understand real evolution. As can easily be seen in our prisons, it is the most ignorant of our population who are the most susceptible to a twisted understanding of evolution and racism. In more affluent areas, evolution ignorance is commonly twisted into lame justification for oppression.

God forbid that we should teach knowledge over “beliefs.” No wonder our politicians keep repeating the mantra “I believe …this and I believe …that” The “belief” word demands free reign to twist reality without being questioned. It is a true tragedy when believing trumps thinking, especially in our schools.
This isn't some backwoods rural small town. This is the public education system of part of the Houston, Texas metropolitan area. But it spreads through much of Texas politics, supported by Texas' current governor, Rick Perry.

The Texas Education Agency (TEA) as an approval process for textbooks that are used in Texas Public Schools, and the state of Texas will not pay for textbooks which are not approved. Currently the TEA is considering the content of science textbooks for Texas schools. The textbooks that are printed for the massive Texas market are then also sold to school districts across the United States, because it is a lot cheaper to print only one version of a textbook.

But the members of the TEA are elected, in down-ballot but statewide elections that are of interest only to a few very committed political junkies and a whole lot of Texas religious nuts and Creationists. (Think Mike Huckabee, thought he comes from that small and mostly rural state north of Texas.) The Press does not cover elections to the TEA, so the candidates are not questioned regarding their policies or beliefs. also, the religiuos fundamentalists took complete control of the Texas Republican Party over two decades ago.

The result is that as long as the Press does not find a smoking gun issue that is can report on, the religious fundamentalists effectively appoint the members of the TEA, who then carefully craft the Texas textbooks to meet the demands of their religion. That means anti-science science textbooks, as well as pro-free market nationalist and nativist history texts. And remember, these same textbooks are offered cheap around the U.S.

That's the background behind the recent firing of the Texas Education Agency’s director of science, Christine Castillo Comer. What did she do to get fired? She emailed - without recommendation - information to likely participants regarding time and location of a talk to be given by a highly respected science educator who was also known as an opponent of Intelligent Design.

The TEA religious yahoos do not want good science information to be presented to children, because when they are ignorant they are easier to convert to Yahooism. They want the government to forbid science and teach only religion.

Mike Huckabee is a supreme religious Yahoo - with a great smile. He's a Dominionist This is another part of the Constitution that he wants to change because it conflicts with his definition of "God's standards."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

okay first off I resent the use of the great state of Tennessee in your rant. The Appalachain Mountains provided a backdrop for the infamous Scope v.s. The State of Tennessee trial in which this country saw it's first real debate on the theory of evolution,and this happened in 1925. I would have to say this is a rather progressive stance for a region that you insinuated was a bastion for ignorance.I also want to point out to all Texans that had it not been for Tennessee there would not be a Texas in the first place, but let us get back to the article and its true essence.
The "No child left behind" act which a moronic Texan got passed is the true problem here. The bill inhibits and restains teachers to the point this nation is producing sub standard learning. The basis for this act is test scores/stats if your school does not meet the required growth with other schools in the country as the stats recommend you are considered a bad teacher ,and thus your career is in peril.Teachers are therefore forced to dumb down their curriculum to maintain an even bar graph that is par with the whole country. The problem here is the difference in geography. Before I begin with this let me first state that I do not have a problem with immigrants comming to this country searching for a better life...be it economic or religious freedom or whatever their personal desires might be.I do however think that having to dumb down any curriculum level because a student cannot speak english is wrong, but that is what is happening today. Texas and california has a large hispanic community, and because of this the English curriculum is therefore "dumbed down" nation wide.The results are obvious when you hear your own children use broken english to express themselves.The real evil rears it's ugly head during this tragic comedy, because now we have a board of elected officials in each state trying to chose text books that will help raise test scores and thus continue to get federal grant money for the schools.I do believe this kind of behavior is what gave the libertarian party it's rise during the 70's when the federal gov. threatened to withold grant money if each state would not lower it's speed limit to 55 mph. I do believe Texas was one of the states that stood up to this tyranny, and still allows open beverage containers,gun racks and some state roads do not even have a posted speed limit.I guess the bravery only exsist when an outsider president makes the law lol. Iam so sorry I have gotten away from my point here and that point is when the federal gov, uses it's trump card of witholding money to get a statistic it deems viable we all are going to suffer in this country. Teaching will lose it's essence and be reduced to a numerical ananomoloy ,and the children be damned. I would like to wrap this up with some views on creationalism and the evolution theory.
I have lived my entire life in northeast Tennessee, but yet have been fortunate to travel to other places in my life as well. I feel I should also state here that I do not consider myself a religious man. I went to church in my youth and was taught the Golden Rule, but I encourage my own children to make their own choices about their religion. I have introduced them Taoism ,Zen,Islam,Hindu as much as I can. I have taken them to local churches in the community we have read passages from the Bible, The Quran,The Tao of Pooh, Lau Tse and the one thing I have discovered and found previlant in all of these teachings is that the human race is given hope and taught self dignity something that is lost in todays schools when Ethics was taken out of the cirriculum many years ago so I guess the real issue here shouldn't be who is to blame, but what is going to be done to fix the problem....not to all please excuse the typos and spelling errors because it is late for me and I really need sleep