Monday, June 12, 2006

The Net Neutrality Bill (S-2917)

Being a blogger who wants to continue communicating to a(n apparently indifferent - oh ye who do not comment here) world, I am of course in favor of Net Neutrality. Josh Marshall at his superb site, Talking Points Memo, is collecting the names and positions of various federal Senators on Net Neutrality. The Bill in the Senate is the Snowe-Dorgan Bill (S-2917). As I understand it, a vote for (S-2917) is a vote for Net Neutrality.

This is the e-mail I have sent to both Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison and Senator John Cornyn of Texas.
Senator xxxxxxxx,

Please tell me if you support and plan to vote for the Snowe-Dorgan bill (S-2917). This is the so-called net neutrality bill.

It is of critical importance to America that communications on the internet continue to be freely available to all users without different prices for the wealthy and the less wealthy. One internet service provider (ISP) recently has blocked "Craigs List" from their customers. The apparent reason is that the ISP themselves offers a similar service and is driving their customers to the service they provide by preventing them from reaching Craigs List.

Suppliers of goods and services should not have to compete with each other on the basis of the level of internet speed they can pay for as opposed to the value of their goods and services. This is false competition, one that can be won by spending money on the level of internet service rather than on the quality and price-level of the goods and services for sale.

Please tell me that you intend to vote "Yes" on S-2917.

Sincerely,
I will post whatever reply I get, and if I don't get a reply in a few days, I will also post that.

No comments: