Thursday, May 04, 2006

Mea Culpa

I haven't posted a lot for the last couple of days. I'd like to apologize to my regular readers - both of you. But it was unavoidable.

I suddenly discovered that I had not read two Hieronymus Bosch mysteries by Michael Connelly, so I bought "Lost Light" and "The Narrows" tuesday. I thought that I would start the first one tuesday evening, read a chapter or two, then go to sleep. But didn't want to put it down until I was finished. I finished it yesterday morning about 11:00 AM, got some houskeeping done and slept from 6:00PM 'til midnight. Then I picked up "The Narrows", intending to read a couple of hours and then go back to sleep. Same mistake twice. I finished it at 10:00 this morning.

So, you can see I had little time for reading or writing on the internet.

I really like Connelly's writing. His characters are clearly established, he does some of the same kind of "around Los Angeles" writing that I liked from Raymond Chandler, and his his plots are interesting, unpredictable yet well laid out. I am still trying to see what he did with his point of view. He started in first person, then switched to omniscient. It worked well, but I don't yet understand how. It seems that he introduced Harry Bosch and the story in the more personal first person, but then went to omniscient with other characters to avoid the trap of not being able to show what other characters were aware of that Harry was not. Third person is cooler, less personal, so that still focused to story on Harry. The switches seemed to occur along with chapter changes. As I say, whatever he did works. I'd just like to understand it a bit better.

I am also always a little surprised that an author dares to call his protagonist Hieronymus Bosch. [Google "Hieronymus Bosch" here.]

If you like mysteries, Connelly is strongly recommended. Click through below if you are curious.

Lost Light
Lost Light



The Narrows
The Narrows

No comments: