Wednesday, September 14, 2005

John Roberts - My impression

Listening to the Senate confirmation hearings today I heard John Roberts dominate the day. He presented a perfect description of the ideal advocate, willing to take any case presented and then arguing that case to the best of his (impressive) ability, then leaving the decisions up to the court. His apparent knowledge of law and legal procedures was impressive, and his ability to present his views, quickly, cogently, and precisely, must be the envy of every lawyer he has ever argued against.

What I did not hear was any hint that might tell me he had a single personal opinion of his own regarding how America should be governed. He came off, in my opinion, as the perfect legal technician without any strongly held personal opinions of his own.

Since he is a strong conservative with wide-held conservative support, that impression has to be a facade. I'd guess he has honed it for a quarter of a century.

Talk about your stealth nominee...

No comments: