Thursday, March 24, 2005

Mea Culpa

I got a comment from Brian that said I was writing nothing except nasty comments about Republicans. There is some truth in what he said. Particularly my comment Why Republicans are all over Terri. It was an uncalled for insult on conservatives and Republicans, and (unlike so many of them - Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh for example) I am not very good at it. It was an effort to be funny and interesting, and it was neither.

The later comment Who is important to Bush is not in the same league at the earlier one, and in fact reflects my disgust that he is always on his ranch clearing brush and nothing seems to get his attention. Bush is no rancher, and he is not Ronald Reagan, either. His brush-clearing stuff is pure theater, and bad theater at that.

I am a Texan myself, and we call people like that "All hat and no cattle." Which wouldn't be so bad if it didn't appear that he has very selective hearing. He listens to oil executives and to the religious right leaders, and makes a point of ignoring the rest of us. For that and a number of other reasons, I really don't like GWB. He is, in my opinion, a rotten person and an incompetent President.

But I will try not to generalize all my antipathy for Bush to other conservatives who voted for him. Oddly enough, I liked both Goldwater and Dole, and while I didn't think Reagan was capable of being President, I rather liked him also. (But then, my mother attended High School with Reagan in Dixon IL. She was a class behind him because she was born after August 1911 and he was born before that.)

So I'll quit tryng to immulate Coulter and Limbaugh. I'm no good at it.

No comments: