Thursday, October 30, 2008

The modern move to conservatism began in 1978.

Kevin Drum asks a really interesting question - "When did the liberal expansion of the state that began in the early sixties end?"

Referring to Paul Pierson at Crooked Timber he answers 1978. It's what I mean when I write about the Reagan Revolution. I think he is right. I am just not sure why it happened that way. Go read Drum and Pierson.

Pierson is right (Or so I think.) The deregulations began in the late 70's, and so did the tax revolt represented by Proposition 13 in California. What caused those events?

If you can explain it, leave a comment. Or if you disagree. But any disagreements need to account for the deregulation of airlines and the truck businesses. Why then?

My bet is that there are a number of factors, including the backlash to the Civil Rights Movement, the backlash to Nixon's resignation and the backlash to the opposition to the Vietnam War. These social attitude factors were probably combined with and used by very wealthy individuals who objected to taxes on wealth (inheritance tax, taxes on capital gains, and progressive income tax) as well as to the regulations of financial institutions.

Add to that the social conservatives of the the Christian Coalition who became a critical part of the Republican Party in the 1980's and who completed the alliances that made up the Reagan Revolution. The evangelist Christians never liked the birth control pill, and abortion was anathema to them. Roe vs. Wade was a major issue that combined them politically. The extremely well-financed Discovery Institute has become a very powerful force.

These appear to me to be the combination that has been the Republican Party since 1978. This would make a great history dissertation. It would also quickly become a book.

But I haven't done the historical research that would confirm these speculations. As I say, let me hear from you , both agreements and disagreements.

No comments: