Wednesday, April 04, 2007

5:00 AM and a full moon - a moment.

The moon is absolutely full - perfectly round, like a pale, freckled silver spot light in the distance. The time is ten after five in the morning, and the clouds are wispy black shadows lightly scudding across the dark sky. Only the pale light of the moon allows me to see the shredded clouds at all. There is no sound. No traffic. No train. No dogs barking. Just silence and a gentle, chilly quiet wind.

For a few moments some of the tendrils of the wispy clouds partially obscure the silver disk. Then they move on, leaving behind the amazing round shining orb by itself, illuminating the slightly darker tendrils of cloud around it. Again, briefly a wisp of a cloud drifts over to partially hide the white circle, then it, like its predecessor, moves on. The full moon continues to shine in silence.

It asks me to watch it in silence and awe. I do.

In its lonely silence, majesty and beauty, it is mine. I share it with no one. Everything pauses.

Then, the moment over, I go back inside, leaving the outdoors, moon and sky behind me.

Inside the house my dog politely, gently but insistently "noses" me in the leg, looks up at me and pants. It's too early, but she also wants to go outside. I slide the patio door open for her and tell her to "Go." She looks back at me, then trots outside to the back yard.

I wonder if the moon also speaks of beauty to her. If it does, she shares it with no one.

1 comment:

Creature said...

I like this better than your political posts :)