Thursday, March 02, 2006

Another benefit of a la carte cable TV

I have long felt that I didn't like having to buy a hundred cable channels as a block just to see CNN, The History Channel, and perhaps a few others. Why should I have to subsidize the garbage on ESPN, MTV and such just to get the few channels I watch? On this I agree with the conservatives. I just disagree on what channels are worth watching.

Turns out that not all conservatives feel that way about a la carte cable TV. The religious broadcasters think that a la carte cable TV will devestate their industry, according to The Carpetbagger Report.

I can't think of a better reason for eliminating block sales of multiple channels. It hadn't occurred to me that I am supporting Pat Robertson and Benny Hinn, as well as FOX cable TV. Hurting their income is the strongest selling point I have heard yet, and I was already in favor of the change. Time to bring some real competition into cable TV channels. Let me choose which ones I don't pay for.

No comments: