Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Conservatives are trying to change America into a much worse place.

This is a diary from My Left Wing which states a truely important truth of modern America. The author tells us how he became a middle-class tax paying American. Hint: He didn't inherit it, and he didn't win the lottery.
Was it my fault we were on welfare? No. Was it my fault that I received free lunch at school? No, not at all. But those in power in Washington want to make it the fault of every poor child in America. It’s the age of personal responsibility, you know. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, you know. Well let me tell you, I didn’t have any bootstraps to pull myself up by even if I could have taken ‘personal responsibility’.

These days it is more important to those in Congress and in the Bush administration to give tax cuts to the wealthy while paying for it by throwing children out of school lunch programs, denying medical treatment for those too poor to afford it, and reducing yet again the amount of money available for education through the student loan program. And I won’t even go into the short-funding of the public schools which further reduces educational opportunities.
Capable children are born to families of all classes. Those children are the future of America.

How do we see them growing up into capable adults?

No comments: